Built in India in 1853, the Edwin Fox was hired by the British government during the Crimean War. (1854-55) She was employed carrying troops and supplies, for both campaigns, in the Baltic and Black Seas.
After the war, she spent the next twenty years carrying convicts to Australia, goods to India, and immigrants to New Zealand.
Towards the end of the 19th century, she was fitted out with refrigeration, and was retired as floating storage for mutton, at various ports around New Zealand.
A century later she has been dry docked in Picton, New Zealand, by the Edwin Fox society.
Along with the S.S. Great Britain, she remains one of only two surviving Crimean War vessels in the world.